Sunday, August 26, 2018

Post 2: Consistency

As I've realized (thanks to a handy thermometer) my classroom can get up to over 100 degrees. Considering I have my kids for 2.5 hours at a time, that can get stressful for both myself and my students. This is when I realized that the heat claims everyone, and it causes an immense stress that even my 3 fans cannot defend against.


It's during this time that I strive to do the most important part of the rules. Consistency. To me, consistency means something happening no matter the circumstance. This can bleed into a lot of things, but it especially can bleed into classroom rules and procedures. The moment that you are not consistent is the moment that your students begin to disrespect you. The best way to be consistent is to come at an even head for everything. For example, it may be tempting to let the student who has been screaming "I need to go to the bathroom" go to the bathroom, but then you're allowing screaming to become an acceptable way to communicate needs in the classroom. The best way to stay consistent is to be relaxed and remember the rules and explain them. Here are a few ways to do that:

1. Take a deep breath
Taking a deep breath at a high tension moment will give you time to relax and reflect on the situation. Sometimes the first response isn't the best response as an educator and it's important that you come off as a fair judge.

2. Remove self from the equation
It's very easy to allow your emotions to take control and get upset. I know I have before. This is one of the most difficult things to do, but take any anger you have out of your body and realize that the student is very likely trying to get a rise out of you as a need for attention. It's important to not let that happen.

3. Start the day well.
An old trick I was taught during football was what I like to call "decompressing". Basically you sit at your seat and take a 1-2 break where you simply relax. Before you get up, you say to yourself "I am going to be calm today. I am going to be fair today." This helps get you "in the zone" and ready to teach the students.

Those are just a few tips on how to improve your emotional responses so you can act more consistent. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

system.out.println("what a great program");