Sunday, August 19, 2018

Post #1 Rules and Procedures

Hi everyone!

This week was my first week of teaching this year. I know that quite a few of us are trying to get back into the hustle and/or bustle of getting our classrooms looking nice and inviting, while some of us have started their year already! Either way it's definitely time for people to get up and get ready for the brand new school year.

Image result for school time
I would like to remind everyone of the one think that they need to have 100% ready to go before the students come into the classroom.

Classwide procedures

 No matter how you slice it, students need procedures for how things in your class should run. If you have gray areas in your procedures, a few of students out there who will quickly become lawyers and try to negotiate every single procedure. While I understand that some people may be a bit lax on rules, it's important to state that rules are not the same as procedures. Are these related? Absolutely!

Image result for stock photo love
Accurate depiction of rules and procedures gazing upon the beautiful classroom they have created.

 Procedures are how students should act during a specific time. Most classes will have different procedures for each activity. He's a short list of all the procedures that exist in my classroom: voice levels when speaking, getting out of seat, sitting correctly, sharpening pencils, retrieving missing work, walking into class, walking out of class, walking to lunch, going to the computer lab, passing out papers, collecting papers, quiz behavior, post-quiz behavior. I have plenty more procedures. but it just gives you a hint of how many different procedures you need. The more procedures you have, the more efficient you class will be. The more detailed your procedures are, the easier they are to follow. 

The way to enforce procedure is by reteaching it over and over again. For example, I do journals with my students every Wednesday and Friday. I clearly go over the expectation step by step each time I do it. Here is the play by play.
  1.  I call everyone to attention.
  2.  I explain that today is a journal day and that I will dismiss students based on their section. During this time, no one is talking to each other, and the section I called will come up quietly and quickly to pick up their notebooks, then they will sit down.
  3. I then say "section 1, please come up quietly and quickly to pick up your notebooks then go to your seat."
  4. I then say "section 2, please come up quietly and quickly to pick up your notebooks then go to your seat."
  5. I then say "section 3, please come up quietly and quickly to pick up your notebooks then go to your seat."
  6. I then say "section 4, please come up quietly and quickly to pick up your notebooks then go to your seat."
  7. I then say "Thank you everyone for quietly and quickly getting out your journals, I greatly appreciate it."
  8. I then explain the journal prompt of the day.
Related image
Wow! What a play by play!
Notice how repetitive it is? That's on purpose. The more time you spend explaining procedure, the easier it is. While there may be come confusion the first few times, it's important to keep the exact same procedure each time. This drastically increases the smoothness of the classrooms, and makes your life a whole lot easier. That being said, if someone is not good at following procedures, do NOT punish them. Simply retrain and remind them of how they should act.

Rules are a whole different beast. Rules are how the students should act at all times. Make sure you have rules for all the problems that could cause difficulty for students to learn and you to teach. If you cannot do these things, then there is a problem in your classroom and their must be a recourse.  Of course, what some people consider to be important may not be the same all around, and that's why I recommend incorporating your students into helping you create your rules. While you should totally have rules (for example, no one talks when another person is talking) you should also make sure you are giving students the ability to make the rules too. When students are given a voice to input their feelings, they feel validated and a member of the community you are creating.

What happens if someone breaks a rule, however? I really think that should be up to the teacher, as various rules have different consequences. For example, in my class, if someone is talking to their neighbors too much, I will move them. If they are insulting their neighbor, they will have to write a page long apology to the student. No matter what the consequences should be, it's important that students understand what the consequence is. That way, they will not fell treated unfairly because they know that if you break that rule, that is the consequence. 

As a side note, some people may have their students help them create consequences too. To you teachers I say: go ahead! It definitely helps create a more solid classroom culture, but make sure the big rules (fighting with other students) have consequences created by you.

I think that's all for now. If you have any tips on how you create rules or procedures, feel free to comment them below. Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

system.out.println("what a great program");