Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Feedback Givers

The individual needs of each writer completely vary. Some need help with sentence structure, some need help with supporting details, some even need help finding out what the assignment is! The role of feedback also varies greatly between the roles of student and "feedback provider" (there's a better word, please tell me what it is, commenters). There's really 4 main "feedback providers": parents, peers, teachers, and coaches. Because I'm not a parent, I'm not going to focus on how they do things. Frankly, I'm not an expert in it at all. Me saying how parents should treat their kids is like a politician without educational experience controlling educational policy. Glad that never happens!




Peers: Everybody knows what peers are. There the other classmates. Despite a lot of people trying to make peer editing a thing, I don't think it should be a thing. Let's be real, students aren't experts in writing. They might not be able to acknowledge mistakes and offer critique. They just don't have the skills yet! Worse, a peer could tell their student is doing things wrong, but they're actually doing things right. Come grading time, they'll lose points because they were led astray by their peers. Clearly not good. So what are they good for? Positive feedback and emotional encouragement. Students can offer positive praise and keep kids going when their interest is faltering. They can also help more in the brainstorming session, but again, peers might give incorrect information. Peers also have secret knowledges of one another, so they can easily "understand better their emotions and know when to reach out for help when needed" (Herrera, 6).


Teachers: the biggest "feedback providers" we have. They give a lot of information. They set the standards on how the work students create should be graded. They're the experts, so they should be constantly providing feedback of all manners in order to get them to complete the assignments and achieve higher proficiency.  Teachers should be giving more critical feedback based on what the assignment says and expects from them. 

Coaches: These are a mix between teachers and peers. They're experts (hopefully), so they know their stuff. Unlike teachers, they have no authority when it comes to the final grade. So what do they do? They do a bit of everything. They offer critiques, praises, feedback, and emotional encouragement for the entire student. Sometimes this involves helping with life problems or different subjects, as well as the content provided by the teacher. For example, one of my students was complaining about choir being difficult. I shared some resources with them. Am I a trained choir teacher? No! But I can offer encouragement and some resources that I pick up using my adult level searching skills. 

One resource I always offer is Flocabulary. It is a tool that turns concepts and ideas into cool rap songs. They're usually pretty cringe, but every so often there's a banger and the kids are hooked! It's a fun way to mix things up in the classroom, and it includes quizzes, readings, and kids can even make their own raps. It also allows you to see what students struggle on so educators can provide more effective feedback.

In the end, each of these groups are very beneficial in different ways, and because of this, different students will need different amounts of each. Knowing what's best for your students will help them succeed. 



9 comments:

  1. Max, your comment about our... lovely... former secretary of education made me laugh so hard! I do like your criticisms of peer feedback because I always hated having to share my work with my classmates. However, I can definitely see the benefits, especially regarding their understanding of one another

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the read! I chose her Devos because it's such an easy shot, but nearly every politician holds major sway over education without any experience in it. Current President included:
      https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/02/biden-standardized-tests-teachers-unions-472831

      Delete
  2. Hi Max,
    I feel like during class I'll often find myself thinking something and then when I look at the chat you've literally voiced my thoughts perfectly. I'm feeling deja vu with that while reading your blog post. Especially with what you wrote about peer reviews. It wasn't until much later in my educational career that I learned what it meant to give useful feedback, and unless we really hammer it in to students early I agree that peer feedback rarely results in useful comments. I do think it can have value in helping build a community that supports each other as writers though. Great post! -Siraj Khan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy what I have to say! I wish my kids did :/

      I found the best way to encourage community through writing is collaborative writing. Whether they're planning together, writing together, or presenting together, it helps foster a bond. None of those require many technical skills as well, and you don't have an imbalance in the quality of feedback students get.

      Delete
  3. Max, you and I seem to be on the same page regarding the roles of coach, peer, and teacher, which I thought was pretty cool. I like your analysis of what each role does. I feel a great pressure to expertize on my students' work, but I feel like natural feedback works better. It's a balance of flexing your English muscles while not being super annoying about it... and it's harder for me than it should be. I'm hoping that, by connecting personally as you mention, that part will become easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that when I was reading yours, too! Rereading this, I feel like I was a bit unfair towards teachers. We can build positive rapport with students and use it for the best of our abilities. It's just that sometimes our inherent power over children can get in the way of it.

      Delete
  4. Hey Max,

    I really like how you looked at the different people who provide feedback for students. It really does vary depending who it is coming from. ON top of that it also is going to depend what the student really needs in order to succeed. I like your analysis of the coaches in terms of feedback. We are not giving them grades but we are educated to the point where we can give them some critical feedback to help them. By critical I mean important not like criticizing their work haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power dynamics are real. I'm a lot more friendly with the writing coach students because I don't have a position of power over them. I don't want my actual students to think of me as a friend, because then they may ask to let things slide or give them special exceptions. Saying "no" to a student you're friends with greatly ruins the relationship. Learned that year 1 the hard way! Also, criticism isn't a bad thing! If we aren't critical of a student's abilities they will not develop better as writers, mathematicians, scientists, artists, etc. It's just about giving them criticism in a positive manner rather than a negative one.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your props for flocabulary. Yes, some are very "cringe" yet it has been a playful help during these many months of virtual at home learning. I'd welcome links to any "bangers" that you use regularly :)

    ReplyDelete

system.out.println("what a great program");